Keeping your floor clean is a task that never really ends, but it’s a crucial part of maintaining a clean home, office, shop, or any other space.
Your approach to cleaning your floors will depend on the type of material. While there are a few good practices that apply to almost all floors, each material has its own special set of techniques to ensure maximum hygiene and longevity.
In this article, we’ll take a look at the various ways to keep different types of floors clean, and how you can get started.
How to Clean Tile Floors
Ceramic and stone tile floors are extremely durable but also need a special approach to keep them as clean and attractive as possible.
Each type of tile is a little different and will require its own methods. However, here are some good general rules for keeping your tiled floors in perfect condition:
- Sweep and mop regularly to avoid the buildup of dirt and other particles which can harm the surface over time
- Keep the grout between the tiles clean to avoid it becoming discoloured and damaged
- Be careful with the materials you use, and avoid old vacuum cleaners which can damage the tiles
How to Clean Vinyl Floors
Vinyl floors are easy to maintain and pretty resilient, but there are some best practices to follow to avoid causing damage and shortening their lifespan. Here are some tips:
- Use shampoo to remove stains — this can be surprisingly effective
- Avoid using too much water. It damaged vinyl floors by destroying the glue that holds the material together, leading to peeling and flaking
- Avoid using wax
- Avoid ammonia-based cleaners, these can damage the surface and cause cracks
- Use low-impact techniques as much as possible — dry mop, vacuum, and sweep wherever you can
- Apple cider vinegar mixed with hot water can be a great stain remover (but go easy on the water)
- Baking soda mixed with water forms a paste which can remove food stains really effectively
Wooden floors look elegant and sleek and can help create a comforting and rustic home environment. However, they need some special maintenance:
- Use floor mats and rugs to protect the floors in areas that get a lot of footfall
- Take off your shoes in the house and encourage visitors to do the same
- Clean your wooden floors regularly with a mop or broom
- Vacuum regularly. It’s best to use a floor brush attachment to avoid damaging the wood, and try to steer clear of older vacuums.
- Use a reliable and effective wood floor cleaner. Many cleaners aren’t a good choice — acrylic polishes can dull the surface, and paste wax can make it slippery
- Add a small amount of white vinegar to a few litres of lukewarm water for a great stain remover
Carpeted floors are comfortable, warm, and inviting. However, more than any of the other floor types in this article, they need some serious maintenance and damage prevention. Here are some of the ways to keep your carpets in great condition:
- Don’t wear shoes in the house, and encourage your guests to follow suit. This is even more important than with wooden floors.
- Use doormats to protect your carpet from dirty shoes, and to clean your shoes before you enter the house
- Use a good vacuum cleaner
- Use the right cleaners, and clean stains immediately after they appear wherever possible
- Use spot cleaning (ideally straight after vacuuming). This is where you spray a small amount of cleaner onto dirty or stained areas and then dab at the spot with paper or cotton towels to absorb the dirt.
- Once in a while, consider hiring a professional to deep clean your carpet — they’ll have access to equipment and materials (not to mention expertise) that you almost certainly don’t
Work With a Professional
Keeping the floors of our living and working spaces clean is a task we have to do regularly to get the benefits. Maintenance and prevention is just as important as deep cleans and stain removal. It’s all about doing the little things correctly and consistently.
However, for best results, it helps to work with professionals who can use their resources and experience to keep your floors in gleaming condition for as long as possible. Professionals have access to techniques and equipment that most of us don’t, and a good cleaning service provider will work with you and get to know your unique circumstances and needs.
That’s what we do at Tailored Services, helping businesses and households in Mackay stay as clean, hygienic, and well-taken care of as possible.
To find out how we can help you, get in touch.